If you’ve been following my blog, you’ll know that I’ve made quite a bit of ice cream over the last few weeks. A good serving of ice cream really needs a little something to make it even better. That something, is pie.
For me, some must have items to have on hand for summer include: mosquito repellent, ice cream and fresh berries. Since it is berry season, I usually have a few pints of berries in the fridge at all times. This week, I happened to have several pints of blueberries.
“Wait, pie? I thought you were supposed to be talking about cake here.”
1 unbaked pie crust
2 pints of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup of softened unsalted butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
3/4 cup of sifted unbleached white flour
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease a glass pie dish and place the unbaked pie crust in it. Trim the edges if necessary.
3. Fill the pie crust with the fresh blueberries.
4. Beat the butter at a low-medium speed until it is light and fluffy.
5. Add the granulated sugar to the butter and continue to mix for about 1 minute.
6. Slowly add in the flour, egg and vanilla until fully incorporated. The consistency should look like cookie dough.
7. Gently press the mixture on top of the blueberries.
8. Baked the prepared pie at 350ºF for approximately one hour, or until the crust and topping are lightly browned.
9. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. For best results, serve with your favorite ice cream.